During your 10-day Birthright Israel trip, you are required to come to Israel with your own health insurance policy that is valid in Israel. This rule comes directly from Birthright Israel, and is strictly enforced. We are required to record your health insurance provider and policy number as part of the Secondary Application. We also HIGHLY encourage all applicants to purchase travelers insurance.
If you are not insured or if your American medical insurance policy does not cover you abroad, then you NEED an insurance policy that covers you for the entire trip. An inexpensive and easy way to fulfill this requirement is to purchase travelers insurance through CTAS, which is underwritten by Harel Insurance Company, Israel’s largest medical insurer. Click here for full insurance policy terms.
What Does This Plan Cover?
- Medical insurance in Israel with coverage for most pre-existing conditions included
- Insurance in case your baggage is lost, damaged, or stolen (up to $800)
- Optional cancellation insurance for coverage of domestic flight costs in case you miss the trip due to a personal illness, an immediate family medical emergency, a cancelled domestic flight, a delayed return flight to Israel, or a labor strike
The CTAS policy costs $45 and provides coverage in Israel during the 10-day trip!
- If you extend your trip in Israel, your insurance policy can be extended for $3.80/day
- There is a $10 insurance add-on if you wish to include the supplemental cancellation insurance.
Order your CTAS Insurance once you are confirmed on a trip by URJ Kesher
Pre-existing conditions are covered so long as the condition has been stable for 12 months preceding arrival in Israel and so long as there has been no hospitalization for the condition in the six months preceding arrival in Israel. Additional exclusions include coverage for the treatment of cancer, AIDS, dialysis, multiple sclerosis, cystic fibrosis, and active psychiatric conditions.